[geeks] New wish lists, OR Rebuilding the dream

James Rice jrice54 at charter.net
Sat Jan 25 10:37:09 CST 2003

Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> once said:

-- > 1 Sun Ultra 60 2x450x4mb, 2gb, 2x36gb HDD, Elite3D-M6 or Expert3D,
> SunPCI-2 with 1gb
> OR
> 1 Sun e250 or 450, or equivalent sunfire. 2 or more proc, any speed with
> 8 mb cache, 2gb or more ram, 2x36gig
> 1 Sun ss20, quad proc, max ram
> 1 SGI Octane dual r12k-300, MXE graphics, 2gb ram, 2 36gb drives
> 1 SGI O2, max proc, max ram, AV module
> 1 DEC Alpha Station or Personal Workstation 533 with 512mb RAM or more,
> reasonable 3D, and two 9 gig or bigger drives
> 1 DEC Alpha Server with at least 4 procs and 512mb RAM
> 1 IBM RS/6000 workstation. Black tower style, at least 250mhz, at least
> 256 meg ram, reasonable 3D 2x9gig or better.
> 1 8 to 32 way PPRO machine, max ram
> 1 PPC750 (or faster, preferably dual), 512mb or more, good 3d, 2x9gig or
> more
> OR
> 1 PPC604e, quad proc, 512mb or more, good 3d, 2x9gig or more
> 1 BeBox 2xPPC603e-133, 1 gig of RAM, 2x9gig hdd
>
> On the PC side of things (including Macs) I'd like the following
>
> 1 Tornado DP G4 of any speed, 1gb ram, 2 36gig or bigger, Radeon all in
> wonder video
> 1 17" powerbook g4, 1gb, 60gb, superdrive
> 1 Athlon XP 2800+, 1gb Ram, well cooled mid tower case, GeForceFX,
> Audigy 2, 2 disk ide RAID
> 1 Athlon XP 2400+, 1gb, Home Audio component style case, ATI
> All-in-wonder 9500 with passive cooling, big ass IDE or SATA RAID 0+1
> array
> 1 Athlon MP 2600+ 1gb, Full tower server case, 2x36 or bigger
>
> In the other hardware section I'd like
>
> 1 good modular switch that can handle gigabit and 10/100
> 10 GigE cards
> 1 Workgroup laser printer
> 1 Good color inkjet, either Epson or HP
> 1 16 way server switch with adapters for sun and adb plus cables etc...
> 1 USB switch
> 4 17"-20" flat panel displays
> 1 Good 21" monitor (for gaming and fast video. Neither look all that
> good on a TFT)
> 1 Large storage array or JBOD. At least 1 TB
> 1 Archive Library
> 2 big equipment racks (those chrome rolling racks or the like)
> 2 Big desks, preferrably completely covering 2 walls with a corner unit.
> 4-8 small-medium UPS's, or 2-4 big ones

A good list.  My goes less to Sun and more to Mac clones.

2 NeXT Dimension Cubes, both maxed, one with a working OD, one is a
Turbo, both Dual Headed with NeXT mono and 21" color monitors
1 NeXT Turbo Color slab with Trinitron 17" monitor
2 Canon object.station 41's both with 17" VGA monitors
2 Sun Sparc 5 110mhz both with Sun 20" monitors
1 Sun IPC
1 Sun IPX with 20" monitor
3 Daystar Genesis MP's 300, 2 528's all with G3 or G$ processor cards in
addition to original MP cards all with 19" SVGA
2 Supermac S900DP's both 250/250 models with 19" SVGA
1 Supermac C500 280mhz with 17" SVGA
1 Starmax 4000/200 with 17" SVGA
1 Power 100 no monitor
1 Radius 81/110 fully tricked out with 20" Radius monitor
2 Quadra 800's both loaded just haven't played with them much
1 MacIIx
1 MacIIcx
1 Mac IIci running AUX
1 Bebox 133x2, loaded with 17" SVGA
1 SGI Indy R4400-175 with 20" sgi Triniton
1 Performa 631CD with DOS card, my first Mac still has Performa display
Several compact Macs

I really havev no accutate count on the PC side, processors run from
Athelon MP 2000 to PPro duals.  I just upgraded my daughters PC's to
1ghz P3's (scrap from work).

For printers I have a Stylus 1500, a Stylus C62 (cheap photo printer),
15-20 dot matrix printers, a Stylus II that I've had for 8 years, a C/D
size pen plotter, a Calcomp 1043GT A-E plotter, a Laserwriter 8500 for
my workgroup printer, four HP4siMx with duplexers, a laserwriter Select
360 with multiple trays, a NeXT Color printer, a Lexmark Optra 1275
color printer, several Optra K1220's , 3 NeXT laser printers, 5-6 Epson
ActionLaser 1000 and 1500's and a ton of other small lasers and ink jets.

I get a deal at work.  all of the trade-in and RMA'ed equipment is mine
if I want it or can get it repaired or replaced by the vendor.  My boss
doesn't want to waste time of processing it, she would rather just chunk
it. I've donated a lot of refurbished PC's to my kids daycare center.
The company just scrapped all PC's slower than 1ghz last month so I
rebuilt a lot of 750-900 mhz boxes and donated them. I get a lot of
almost ne SVGa monitor that way.  If a monitor fials in service, we
relace it and if I can get the vendor to replace it or fix it, it's
mine.  The same with hard drives.  I've collected around 20-30 20-to-80
gb ATA 100 and 133 hard drive in the past 6 months.  That's why my PC's
at home have 320gb ATA100 RAID arrays on them.

http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html