[geeks] Octane Review

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Fri Jan 24 09:31:00 CST 2003

Kevin wrote:

> BTW, although i am referring to SGIs venture into actual PC
> offerings, a while back someone here mentioned that the
> new Fuel workstation were more PC like.  Anyone know what
> was meant by this?  In what way are they "PC like"?  Not
> disputing it, i'm just curious.

Well, that was my first thought when we borrowed an early-production
model directly from SGI a while back. I didn't have the opportunity or
time to open it up, but by judging from the outside and the back, it did
look like a normal ATX-case to me. Well, except for the plastics that
is...
It has the same type of backside as the usual peecees, with USB,
com-ports, pci-slots and such. Even looked like an ATX-powersupply too.
The only exception to this was the probable single-slot XIO at the
bottom. I mean, there sat a V12 graphicsboard, and I would be certainly
amazed if they repacked that board just for the Fuel.

/Bjorn