[geeks] Octane lightbar

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 23 14:06:54 CST 2003

Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> Is the light bar thing on Octanes supposed to be on all the
> time or just when booting up?  Mine is red during on boot up,
> during what i assume to be POST.  Then, once the machine is
> booted up the light shuts off and stays off.
>
> I was just curious to know if these things normally do that or
> not.  I always kind of assumed it glowed green or something
> similar during normal operation.

This is a FAQ.  The lightbar is used for diagnostics (similar to beeps in
peecees) at boot time, and as a nice 'gee-whiz' thing while it's running.
The fact that yours doesn't light up means that the incandescant bulbs on
the lightbar have burned out.  The working nature of the red LED during boot
means that the circuit is good, and all you need to do is replace the bulbs.

Do yourself a favor and replace the two burned out bulbs with a single LED -
won't ever burn out.  Instructions at:
http://www.k-huhn.com/octane_mod/

--
Kurt