[geeks] SCSI cabling question

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jan 23 11:16:31 CST 2003

I just bought 3 1" 4 disk hot swap enclosures arranged thusly:

--------
| |  |  |  | |
--------
| |  |  |  | |
--------
| |  |  |  | |
--------

They each take 3 5.25" bays.  Unfortunately the auction declined to mention
that they have individual SCA to 68 pin converter boards for each drive bay
rather than a true backplane.  My question is this, and it seems obvious to
me, but I'd like to verify.  Can one take one 68 pin cable with 6
connectors... connect one to the RAID controller, the next 4 to the first
enclosure on the bottom, connect the last to a female-female adapter, and
then put another 6 connector cable on that and snake up to a subsequent cage
of 4?  My problem is I have either a RAID adapter with 3 channels and 4 MB,
or a single channel with 32MB.  I was thinking of doing 6 drives on two 32MB
single channel controllers.  Opinions...etc?  I only have 9.1GB 1" drives
for this purpose, and I have 6 currently.  The 5 18's I bought were as
someone said here 1.6" tall

Andrew
Andrew J. Weiss
Field Network Engineer