[geeks] siemens nixdorf boxen

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Jan 22 15:57:36 CST 2003

>I acquired a couple of these a bit ago, and was researching OS options for
>them.  Any of you know other options aside from NetBSD, anyone got
>experience with em?

 Well, what Siemens Nixdorf boxes do you have? There are several variations:

-Primepower, sparc64 chip runs Solaris (out-of-box?)

-RM, Mips CPU runs Sinix/Reliant Unix

-RW, relabeled SGI stuff runs Irix (out-of-box)

-MX, older processor (NCXXX16?!?) runs Sinix (?!?)

-PC, X86 processor runs standard X86 OS'es and also Sinix-Z, anybody know more
     about that or running it?

 I'm writing this without resorting to Google, so if I'm wrong please correct
me, but this is how I remember them. I personally have a RM-200C with Sinix
5.42 (anybody have a more recent version?) and know someone with a MX300 (he
has Sinix media for those). Running Linux on RM-series is possible but not
recommended and I think the Linux port is a couple of years out of date (and it
only ran on the RM200 last time I looked). Never heard of Netbsd running on
these machines. I suppose Primepower will run Linux/netbsd without problems and
you'd better forget running netbsd if you have a MX.

  greetings,
   Michiel

ps. There is a RM200 machine on Ebay.de right now, but I think that's the model
with the EISA slots.