[geeks] Watch prescision

James james at jdfogg.com
Wed Jan 22 10:04:13 CST 2003

At 09:54 PM 1/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Someone off the list emailed me asking about the precision of waches. I
>was going to just write him back personally, but I thought you all might
>be interested.

Not long after the turn of the century (the last century) railroads
required a watch to keep within 5 seconds a week (or some high value like
that). There were actual specifications for the watches that Operations
Department personnel were allowed to carry. 21 Jewel, 5 seconds/week and
the lever used to actuate a time change must be concealed and cannot be the
little winding knob (that thing has a name but I forget what it is). Each
road set up their own standards, the one I quote is Boston & Maine, 1932
Operations Department Trainman's Rulebook.