[geeks] Watches was: hub needed

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Tue Jan 21 01:44:53 CST 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Chris Byrne wrote:

> Ok, there are a couple of factors to consider.
>
> 1. Size: How big are your hands, and how big of a watch do you want
> 2. Features: Is there anything special you'd like the watch to do i.e.
> chronograph, multi time zones, alarms etc...
> 3. Bracelet or strap
> 4. Price: Ok failry complicated question here. Do you just want a  nice
> watch that will last, or do you want something for your kids to inherit

Just to throw in my .02 here, I've been wearing a Jules Jergenson (I'm
not sure of the spelling, my eyes ain't good enough to see it anymore)
watch for several years now, in fact, just got it fixed, it had a screw
in crown that had half worn away, so wouldn't stay in anymore, but I'd
been thinking of getting a new watch, and with this topic I decided to
see what Walmart had. (here in the sticks, Walmart is where you shop
for almost everything!). I was really surprised to find a very nice
Elgin Automatic there for only $149.95 and after looking at it, and
another watch (a nice titanium watch, I forget the make) I decided on
the Elgin. It's a bit thicker than my old watch, but it feels really
good on my wrist, and I like the fact that it doesn't have a battery,
as I've found very few jewelers (or other watch repair personnel) that
can replace a battery, AND re-certify the watch as being water
resistant to it's designed depth. (This is also why my JJ needed
repair, it got moisture inside after a battery change!) I'll let y'all
know how the watch is holding up in a couple of years :)

-Mike