[geeks] OSX optimizations

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 20 18:52:34 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 05:57 AM, Kevin wrote:
> I just set my mother up with OSX.  She is running a
> dual G4 1.25, a gig of ram and all 320 SCSI hardware,
> no ide drives except the DVD-R.  She says it is not
> nearly as responsive as she expected.  You have to wait
> a few seconds just to open up basic text files and
> such.  Aside from the exception of installing it on her
> new machine this weekend, I have never used OSX before.
>  Are there any tips for optimizing the speed that i may
> have missed?  Are there ways of turning off some of
> that BS eye candy?  Are there a million services
> running with a basic OSX install?  Any tips we could
> get to speed this thing up would be greatly
> appreciated.

   I don't have any specific suggestions, but I can definitely say that
something is very wrong.  I played with a dual 800Mhz G4 about a year
ago and everything was pretty much *instant*.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your