[geeks] Re: hub needed

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 23:25:33 CST 2003

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> If you call someone who collects older computers a "cheap bastard",
> you have no place on the SunHELP mailing lists.

Now, be fair, he wasn't calling him a "CB" for collecting old
computers, he was "questioning" the savings of pursuing used
"commodity" hardware like a 10/100 hub or switch. For example, a $30
switch, half the price for being used, add $5 & 2-3 days wait for
having it shipped to you, plus possibly a transaction fee, if
PayPal/eBay is involved (the latter owns the former), and the concept
of savings is being stretched quite a bit.

I don't agree with everything the original poster said/implied, but
hang him for what he did say ;^)

> Go cut another hole in the side of your peecee case and brag about
> how many gigahertz you have.. it just helps you reboot faster after
> crashes.

Dood, all my moola is going to http://www.crutchfield.com/customcar -
they are the bomb, and my 1987 Ford Torino will be a seet ride...

I was in Best Buy returning something (no, not a 10/100 switch - a
cable/DSL router I didn't need) and I got the chance to hear the
musings of two (literally) pimple-faced teens debate and discus what
the best amp was (seems Fosgate is king among the minimum-wage set) -
because they were under-rated as far as power goes... anyway, it was
insightful to hear how much they felt was needed to spend on a car
stereo... (seems 500+ watts are needed, just to be taken seriously) The
key moment was when one turned to the other and asked if his mother
does his laundry - they were trying to solve the mystery of the missing
ID tag from his company shirts...

Youth.

(Yes, I recently had a birthday ;^)

=====