[geeks] Followup on weapons seizure

Rob rstaab at panix.com
Sat Jan 18 21:17:09 CST 2003

> The only way I can think of is to make a very well publicized national
> standard that the gun-banners can't object to without making it clear
> that they are actually trying to completely ban all guns. Because most
> people think that if you're a basically good person you should be able
> to own a gun, but they belive the gun-banners when they say they're
> asking for reasonable control. They think there isnt already resonable
> control because the media and the banners cast themselves as the
> underdog.
>
> They have a massive mis-information campaign, and we have Wayne
> LaPierre, Charlton Heston, Tom Selleck, and Eddie the Eagle.
>

> I love my guns. I love them as works of mechanical and egineering art.
> As symbols of freedom and individual choice. As tools of protection. But
> most people fear guns. They are afraid of a 2 pound hunk of metal and
> sometimes plastic that they honestly feel is evil. How do we fight that?
>
> Any ideas? I'll listen?
>
> Chris Byrne

You are correct in that the anti-gun (anti-freedom) groups in the USA have
a huge misinformation campagin going, however the answer is NOT to roll
over and play dead. Everytime, you hear one of their bogus arguments, it
is the responsibility of every citizen to listen, 1) find the holes and
knock them down.
2) Take people to the range. People who own guns rarely want to see them
banned, and their involvement gives them a greater sense of what is going
on with the issue.
3) Teach. Be the local gun nut. The person who the local gun owners call
in November to see who's who on the ballot and what the issues are if
they're too cloudy to be understood or the voter just doesn't know what's
going on(this is also bad...)

The only way to win this is to not compromise. Since the beginning of the
last century, the rights of gun owners have been chipped away. At some
point, you have to say - enough is enough.

- Rob