[geeks] Im going to XP, wish me luck

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Jan 18 12:39:04 CST 2003

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 10:28  AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Someone said recently that you can turn off all the crappy interface
> stuff in XP.  Is that true?  I *might* consider XP when I get my game
> machine assembled, but frankly I'd rather use 2000.  If I can have the
> 2000 interface, and full hardware support of XP, I'd *consider* it.

You do it in exactly three places as far as I'm concerned.

1. Go to Display in the control panel and select Windows Classic
Appearance(Theme... I'm too Macish at this point)

2. Right Click on the Taskbar and select the Classic Start menu style

3. Enter Control Panels and switch away from Category view

4. Other changes I like but aren't Win2000 ish... Taskbar to expand
Control Panels, Display Logoff, Display Administrative Tools.
Explorer... View Show hidden files, Don't hide extensions of known
type, Don't hide operating system files... etc.

Andrew