[geeks] Im going to XP, wish me luck

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Jan 18 12:02:04 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 12:57, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> Ahh but installing SP1 means you have to have bought it in the first
> place... unless you know of unlicensed service packs.  Plus XP java is
> so screwed up that I refuse to use it.  Just try to get it to play nice
> with all the 2000 Apps that previously caused no problems.

Yes, you have to buy it.  It's commercial software, just like a lot of
other software.  If you want/need it, just pay for it, it won't kill
you.  Then install Sun's Java VM.  And i've seen no problems with 2000
apps.  The worst i had to deal with is a finicky accounting package that
had to be run in "Windows 2000 compatibility mode" to avoid a few minor
glitches, but otherwise ran fine.

I'm not trying to promote MS software here, but don't go around putting
down software because you can't easily pirate it.

	-Dan Sikorski