[geeks] Contracts in KS/MO, ME and VA

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Jan 17 19:19:57 CST 2003

Well the contract would only require me to be onsite for a week at a
time so I figure I can live pretty much anywhere and just grab a hotel
for a week if I have to. But I like Portsmouth anyway and its one of the
places I was considering. I've also got family in Merrimac, Moultonboro,
Laconia, and a couple of other places.

> You could join me and a bunch of my soon-to-be-former
> compatriots from
> Vicinity and start a conslutancy.

Actually that's not a bad idea. If ti goes any further let me know. And
if I do get and take the ME job I will let you know.

> Companies have budget
> for projects but not people (what do you do with people when
> the project is
> over??).

Yeah I was in the same situation in Ireland. Only instead of doing the
job they were putting it off and holding on to the cash. Even for truly
critical stuff they'd rather hold on to the cash for now.

> Portsmouth lacks a lot of what I like about NH (mountains, clean cold
> rivers and lakes, etc) but has the work and you can drive to
> everything
> else, including the awesome ME coastline.

Which is one of the reasons I like Portsmouth. Its also reasonbably
close to Boston where I have a lot of friends, and theres a lot of stuff
to do, and very important, a large international airport (my GF is a
german national living in Ireland).

> Its a Northern New England tradition to string together
> smaller jobs to
> make a living. I'm pretty sure you could make it here. I
> suspect I have to
> get used to doing multiple jobs too.

I've done it before, Im sure I'll do it again. Hell it means a lot more
flexibility and more intersting stuff during the year. Not a lot of the
SSDD syndrome.

Chris