[geeks] Contracts in KS/MO, ME and VA

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Jan 17 18:30:59 CST 2003

Folks,

Well for the last month I've been getting nothing but nibbles, but in
the last three days I've had four strong contract proposals come in.

A 12 month spot here in Phoenix doing SAN admin, 12 month renewable semi
perm doing SAN admin for Sprint, in Overland Park Kansas, a 12 month
spot doing security training in Augusta Maine, and a 6 month spot doin
SAN Admin in Dulles, VA. If you know who the biggest non-government tech
employer in Dulles VA is you know the company I'm talking about.

I've also had a few more emails show up on other things,

The real questions are which would be the better job?

Does anyone have experience with contract work for said employer in
Dulles VA, or have they tried living around there? Is it worth it? In
particular is it worth $65 an hour corp-corp exp. Inc. ?

I could've squeezed $80 out of them but I stipulated that they had to
carry my insurance and I'd be billing net 14 on 14 day invoices so I
figure, $65 is all I need, and it's pretty much guaranteed to get me the
job since all the normal beltway people charge at least $120 an hour and
even the indys are pulling in $80.

I already know I like the Kansas city area, and the rate they're
proposing is good for the area. In fact considering the cost of living
there, I'd have a better QOL than I did making more than twice as much
in CA.

The phoenix job is for shit money, but its near my mom which is the
reason I came back to the states in the first place.

The job in Maine looks pretty good, and its good money. Great money
actually at $100 an hour, but it's not full time. Its officailly a 12
month contract but it'd be like 40-50 days of work over a twelve month
period so I'd need to do fill in work. But it'd be regularly schedule
work days, so ... It's a trade off.

Id love to work in ME. But I just don't know if the fill in work is
availoable. I'm pretty sure I could make up the difference in Mass and
NH. I'd prolly live in NH. Anyway because a. the tax situation and b. I
really love NH.

The VA job is pretty much a lock, the ME job looks pretty solid, the
others are iffy. Any opinions?

Oh and if I do accept one of the contracts, anyone interested in the
other ones?

Chris Byrne