[geeks] Rant

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Jan 17 17:04:10 CST 2003

If you've ever had to manage several hundred firewalls you would think
so to. Once you are used to FW-1's management system every other
firewall feels like shit to manage. Especially if you have a lot of
them. For me it got to the point where I could deploy a newly installed
firewall in less than a minute.

FW-1 is architected for an organization with at least 100 users (it hits
the "sweet spot" between 500 and 25,000)and 5 or more access control
points. It is definitely not the best for a single firewall for a few
users. For one thing its WAY to expensive for that.

The real problem isnt FW-1, its checkpoint. The core software is
generally very good, and the management scheme is generally very good,
but checkpoint keeps breaking shit, and then making it worse when the
"fix" it. Not to mention CheckPoints tech support is the WORST in the
business by any stretch of the imagination.

Chris Byrne