[geeks] Blender & Jashaka on IRIX

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 16 16:19:05 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:11:44PM +0100, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> I am not sure. DirectFB was  originally designed for embedded devices. You
> can compile an app statically with the directfb libs and even with the
> device drivers, who all run in userspace! Ain't that a nifty technology :)
>
> In any case: they don't redraw windows usually. But you can check it all out
> on http://www.directfb.org/ off course. Especially the screenshots :-)

The NeXT Dimension machine stored all windows in memory on the dimension
board.  This meant no expose events, and was rather fast.  The problem
was that you needed an obscene amount of memory on the ND board, which
wasn't cheap back then.  Actually, I think you probably still had to
write your programs to support an expose event so that it could dump
stuff when it ran out of ram.  I'm not sure how they dealt with that
condition, I just remeber hearing lots of complaints from ND about
running out of ram on the ND board.

--
Joshua D. Boyd