[geeks] Blender & Jashaka on IRIX

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 16 13:53:55 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:44:01PM -0500, Eric Gregory wrote:
> Greetings all...  I was just wondering if anyone has any experience running
> blender or jashaka on IRIX?  If so, how's performance?  I've got an I2 r10k
> (thinking about buying an octane soon though).  I'm just curious how a let's
> say, r10k SSI or MXI octane would handle these apps as compared to a pc with
> an AMD 2000+ with a big fat GeForce 4...  Whaddya think?

Blender runs fine when it is running on an Irix with the display piped
via 10baseT to an O2.  But then, it also runs fine on a P166 with
Riva128.  Interestingly, it does not run fine on a Voodoo3 or rage
mobility.

As to jashaka, good luck.  It crashes constantly on the PCs I've tried
it on (both windows and linux), and linux and windows are their main
development platforms.  Also, I've been unable to do much of anything
usefull.  I've done some simple animated painting, but the paint tools
are too simplistic.  I've done some animated text, but again, really
lame.  I didn't really get anywhere in trying to composite with it.

I think these people are somewhat clueless.  And yet they get cool
hardware donated.  What is the lesson on this?  Rather than attack the
hard problems of motion tracking, matte pulling, graphical node editing,
etc first, I should have released a useless program and maybe people
would have given me a decent working environment.

--
Joshua D. Boyd