[geeks] Solaris 9/x86 Performance

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jan 16 11:39:43 CST 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 16:07, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > I thought the lsb said that a basic shell should always be present
> > there (mostly it's a link to /bin/bash)
>
> Ah!  That's were the troubles occur.  It *is* there, but the RPM package
> doesn't know it for some reason - I suspect because there isn't a package
> that explicitly contains /bin/sh.

I remember having read somewhere that the script is written in korn shell
language. It would be completely braindead if the first line of the script
was #!/bin/sh in that case, but try installing ksh and linking /bin/sh to
it.

> > Yeah, sure... and you never know what you break if you upgrade
> > something... The total debian distro is 8800 packages, of which I have
> > installed over 700... You want to compile all that?
>
> Ugh...
>
> By base system I mean - the system, the compiler, and whatever tools you
> need.  When installing Apache, for instance, I always compile.  When
> installing PHP, I always compile.  There are things that I won't compile,
> like solitare or bash.  I believe that compiling server software with the
> options you need and streamlining it makes sense, but there is a limit to
> what make sense for even the most hardcore geeks.

I think the same.

I compile stuff that doesn't exist in binary form yet (cvs etc), or stuff
where performance is important (kernel, Xfree86).

--
Frank