[geeks] Solaris 9/x86 Performance

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jan 15 17:05:43 CST 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 19:38, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > Since there are about 30 other distributions who use rpm? It's a reason
> > to not recommend slackware to anyone starting linux for instance.
>
> Ah, the holy war begins :)
>
> "My distribution is better!  Your's sucks because [fill in this blank]"

Yeah! Long live the good old-fashoned distro-wars!

> I suffer daily.  Every piece of commercial software in an RPM package, that
> fails with "/bin/sh not installed" makes me want to shoot myself in the
> face with a signal cannon.  DB2 comes to mind.

I thought the lsb said that a basic shell should always be present there
(mostly it's a link to /bin/bash)

> > You can't go without a package manager, how crappy even. Compiling
> > everything by hand (=not with ports or anything) could make a fulltime
> > job. Not to
>
> Not so, really.  If you know what you're doing.  Just get the base system
> installed with anything you need to compile, all the tarballs you need, and
> compile away.  The first time or two will be tedious, but once you've got
> it figured out it goes very quickly.  The obvious qualifier of "not for
> inexperienced, impatient, or easily frustrated people" goes here...

Yeah, sure... and you never know what you break if you upgrade something...
The total debian distro is 8800 packages, of which I have installed over
700... You want to compile all that?

--
Frank