[geeks] Re: Ricoh Aficio 220

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 15 16:08:26 CST 2003

Hi Lads

I got my Aficio 220 last night. It was a brilliant night for auction buyers (a small, hard crowd) and in the end I paid just over 400USD for the photocopier and an additional 45USD for the Ricoh service technicians visit. Very good value for money (I've since found out that this model was over 5500USD when new). The system DOM is 2000.

This thing absolutely rocks. If you're in the market for a good used laser printer - definitely consider getting a digital photocopier instead. Basically a digital photocopier is an industrial laser printer with a scanner attached.

The print speed is 22ppm at a max res of 600x600. The service interval is 1,000,000 pages between rebuilds and the maximum print duty cycle is 20,000 pages per month. And, it natively supports A3 printing. This unit is in a completely different league from your typical Laser-Jet :-)

My unit came with the network interface board, 48MB internal memory, bypass tray, internal shift tray, 500 sheet A4 and 250 sheet A3 bins, and the Postscript 3 module. The printer functions are superb as the board support TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, Appletalk, NetBEUI, and has a supremely unix friendly internal LPD :-) It also has an internal telnet server and a web-server!

I never thought it would happen. but I think it is finally time to replace my faithful old HP 4M+. The king is dead - long live the king...

Regards,

Gavin