[geeks] Solaris 9/x86 Performance

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Jan 15 08:52:12 CST 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003, at 09:21 US/Eastern, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Imho, package management is the main selling point for a distribution
> :-)

As my high-school math teacher used to say "You have a right to your
opinion, but you're wrong".

8-)

There are minor differences between the various linux distributions
that make people prefer one over the other, but As Far As I Know,
nobody LOVES RPM enough to choose Red Hat just for it.

I think at this point, it's all dependent on ease-of-use. The
distribution with the simplest install wins. When I need a box up and
running, I want to know I can just slip in my cd (regardless of who
made it), fill in a few blanks, and go.

If, on the other hand, you have the time, energy and know-how, there
are a dozen other optioons out there to allow you to build the system
YOU want, with literally any level of ease or difficulty you want. None
of them are consistent with any of the others as to package manager.
One that's become insanely popular among the local linux geeks is
gentoo, which uses no package manager at all. 'Splain that? And
Slackware?

Anyway, who am I to talk? I have one linux box at home, and it's
running Red Hat 6.2 /SPARC.

---sambo
on a Mac