[geeks] Solaris 9/x86 Performance

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jan 15 08:33:24 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:59:20AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Chris Byrne wrote:
> > Why such a problem with Red Hat? And does that problem also extend to
> > Mandrake and other RedHatbased distributions?
> RPM is fragile shit (I -don't- want another corrupted RPM database
> nightmare), vendor A's RPMs aren't compatible with vendor
> B's, and the dependency system is a trainwreck ("unresolved dependency:
> foo-1.8.43.595-XYZ-47.2-gamma37").

I think that's partly a measure of its success^Wpopularity.  The rare
occasions when third parties have released Debian packages have led to
people having all sorts of problems in some cases.

Given insufficiently clued monkeys, they WILL break a packaging system.

--
David Cantrell    |    Reprobate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    Moo, chomp, burp.  It's the natural order of things
        -- Dave McGuire