[geeks] Re: Ricoh Aficio 220 photocopier/printer

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 13 22:18:09 CST 2003

> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 21:48, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> > Hi Lads
> >
> > I'm thinking of buying/rescuing a used Ricoh Aficio 220 photocopier for my office. The one I'm looking at has come out of a liquidation and has only got 53,000 pages on the counter. The printer module is installed (postscript 3, PCL5e/PCL6, and Jet Direct compatible :-) and the memory has been bumped to 48MB. I don't know if the scanner or fax modules are installed.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this model? I suspect that it will be much better value than a used LaserJet but I know nothing about photocopiers (especially ones that can do network priting) so any guidance would be recommended.
> >
> > I expect to pay about 250USD for the unit (I'm a cheap bastard). Ricoh contract support is about 1.4 UC cents per page (includes toner and servicing).
>
> I may be completely wrong, but is that one of those that has a some sort
> of sparcstation to run the thing?
>
> 	-Dan Sikorski

I'm not sure - there is an ethernet interface and an internal hard disk is supported but I assumed they were both built in.

However what I do know (from support.ricoh.com) is that the Aficio 220 has printer support for:

Sun Solaris 2.6, 7, & 8
HP-UX 10.x and 11.0 HP-UX 10.x and 11.0
Red Hat Linux 6.x
Red Hat Linux 7.x Red Hat Linux 7.x
SCO Open Server 5.x
IBM AIX V4.3/5L V5.1

Multi-platform unix print support...I think I've died and gone to heaven :-o

I've arranged for a Ricoh technician to come out tomorrow morning and thoroughly check the machine (basically to make sure that it can go on a Ricoh support contract). It only costs 40USD but I'm sure it is worth it.

Regards,

Gavin