[geeks] Re: HP's squandering

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 13 15:03:45 CST 2003

While I was working at Dell they had an unofficial policy of simply
replacing any itanium box that had a problem rather than attempting to
fix it.

The exact quote to me was "Look, they don't work. They arent fixable. We
just give them a new box. We never should have relesed them".

The Box in question was designed by HP, and Intel offered for low cost
as a reference design for large vendors so they could push the itanium
out there months before it was really ready for production systems.

I then asked how many of the systems we had sold world wide "Less than a
thousand or so I think. We've already replaced most of them"

Fun stuff eh.

Chris Byrne