[geeks] Re: HP's squandering

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 13 13:53:58 CST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 02:46 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   I know one person...James Sharp...who played with one briefly on a
>> test-drive program maybe two years ago.
>
> I know someone who has used them and is hoping to get MU to buy a stack
> for a performance computing lab.  Well, know might be a bit strong.  He
> is a MU professor though.  He started at the beginning of my last
> semester.

   One person.

>>   That said, I'd like to get my hands on an Itanium box to play with a
>> little bit.  But they're so rare that the only way to buy one is brand
>> new, which I'm certainly not going to do...I'm willing to shell out
>> maybe $350 for one.
>
> There are usually a few on ebay.  They mostly seem to be servers.  I
> saw
> a pair of workstations once, and they looked like they might be
> reasonable, but I didn't watch what they actually ended up closing at.
> It is interesting to me that Itanium CPUs are affordable, but
> motherboards are nearly unobtainium.

   There are always some on eBay.  With $6K-10K opening bids, ending
with no bids.  All the time.

   Like I said...nobody is buying these things.  A few research clusters
at supercomputer centers does not a market share make.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols