[geeks] Re: HP's squandering

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 13 12:41:39 CST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 11:38 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> [discontinuing HP 3000]
>>> Because it is an obsolete, non-industry standard platform. ;-(
>>    Oh yeah, right.
>>    And the Itanium is enjoying so much more popularity, with such a
>> huge installed base!
> Yes, of course. Every big vendor has Itanium machines. Only HP has
> HP3000.

   Some big vendors are *making* Itanium machines.  Nobody is buying
them, or has bought them.  There is a huge installed base of HP3000
machines.

> And don't forget Itanium is Intel. Intel == industry standard. ;-(

   I thought it was x86 that's an "industry standard" (despite its
obsolescence).  Itanium != x86.  (I know *you* know this...but Fiorina
apparently doesn't!)

> unlink( "/Fiorina"); /* !!! */

   Oh, if only it were that easy! :-/

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols