[geeks] SGI Indy/I2 video software question...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jan 13 09:29:14 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:59:30AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > > I edited a couple movies on my Indy at NTSC resolution, and it was slow,
> > > but it worked okay.  Patience is the key.  I was blown away when I first
> > > used
> >
> > Did you have the indy video and cosmo board?
>
> No, hence the moderate amount of pain.  I used it though, as it was the only
> thing I had available to me at the time.

Err, how did you get NTSC resolution out of it with out an indy video
board?  Is there something I'm missing?

> > It's a same really.  It seems to me that Digital Video for the octane
> > is in about the same ball park $$$ wise as any quality D1
> > capture/playboard with audio for the mac is.  And Octanes aren't that
> > costly, even rather modern ones like R12ks with V6 graphics.  But there
>
> One of these days I'd really like to get a personal video option for the
> Octane.  It, and a fiberchannel array, are the only things missing I
> think...

If there are any that are supported (Adaptec 2940 perhaps?) another UW
SCSI external channel should be all you need in addition to onboard SCSI
for dual stream.  However, since I don't know of software that supports
dual stream for affordable amounts of money, hooking an array to the
external UW channel would be enough for single stream stuff.

--
Joshua D. Boyd