[geeks] SGI Indy/I2 video software question...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jan 13 08:45:25 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:09:46AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I edited a couple movies on my Indy at NTSC resolution, and it was slow, but
> it worked okay.  Patience is the key.  I was blown away when I first used

Did you have the indy video and cosmo board?

> the O2 - talk about amazing.  I haven't tried to use the Octane for video
> editing yet, but I'm sure the day will come here not to soon...

The one thing about the octane is that you should think uncompressed.
On the upside, I think most packages other than premiere offer real time
transitions on an Octane SI+TRAM or better.  However, off the top of my
head, the cheapest non-premiere package is the multi $10k Piranha edit,
although I never heard anything about what Jaleo costs.

It's a same really.  It seems to me that Digital Video for the octane
is in about the same ball park $$$ wise as any quality D1
capture/playboard with audio for the mac is.  And Octanes aren't that
costly, even rather modern ones like R12ks with V6 graphics.  But there
exists no good solution like a modern Premiere with Octane specific
plugins (like Matrox has to supply with the Digisuit to get good
performance from Premiere), or better yet FCP (which could be far better
on the Octane than it is on the Mac, although it is reportedly nice
there also).

--
Joshua D. Boyd