[geeks] Fight with computer brings SWAT team

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sun Jan 12 07:26:34 CST 2003

Yeah, did you ever think WHY they were so cheap ;-)

Honestly they were truly crap cars for a personal vehicle, but they made
great fleet cars.

> I had bought a Dodge Aspen that was setup exactly as you
> describe, and
> it was a great car!

Oh yeah, that aspen was another of the "A" cars. It was pretty much the
same car as a duster wasn't it?

> All the cars I had were former Police cars, and they DID have great
> engines / transmissions, but I don't know about the
> electrical systems,
> they seemed as bad as any Dodge. (seems like Dodge just can't seem to
> make a good electrical system

Funny, I had that same discussion with Amy like a year ago.

> so I drained out all the water from the cooling system,
> refilled it with Marvel Mystery Oil, and that cab ran for another 2
> weeks like that! (and I didn't even charge the city for all the
> mosquitos that thing had to have killed!)

Gods man, that's a HELL of a lot of mystery oil. I mean I love the stuff
but using it as COOLANT! In a car with A/C no less!!!

> Well, the ones made after 90 were refered to as 'bubble cars' and
> generally hated by most of the cab owners in Fort Lauderdale.

I dunno man, the cops love 'em. The Massachusetts state police, and
several other states kept their cars for two full cycles more than
originally schedule. They're only just now rotating the last of them out
of the fleet 8 years later.

They also looked a hell of a lot better than the vic, still do in my
opinion. And their frames were a lot tougher,they took a push bumper
better, had a better electrical system, better A/C, and a better
powertrain for all day use.

Oh and the interceptor models used by the staties were pretty awesom.
Until you've seen a real full size car doing 150 (no Im not exagerating.
The damn things topped ut just under 150) you don't know what power is.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Every cop I know hated the new vic's when they were introduced. But they
got a lot better after the first few years, and now they seem to like
them. Also as of 2001 they actually had a worthwhile replacement for the
interceptor. 135mph in a Crown Vic.

Chris Byrne