[geeks] 1911A1 handguns

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Jan 9 11:10:28 CST 2003

> Glaser Safety Slugs, I would think a good arguement could be made for
> trying to be a responsible gun owner by using them, after all
> they are
> specifically designed NOT to penetrate hard objects, so if
> you shoot at
> somebody they're not going to kill somebody after going thru some
> walls, 3 houses over! (I used to carry Glasers in my Glock.)
>
> -Mike

	Well I was not thinking of carrying them for the safety factor,
though that was a nice plus. I was really interested in the fact that they
do massive cavitation to the front of the person you are shooting at. Add in
the fact that they shred bullet proof vests and that a hit to the body is
usually 100% fatal and a hit to an extremity is 90% fatal do to massive
shock, they become a very nasty round. I once saw a demo where they had two
pieces of similar salt pork. They shot the first with a 9mm ball. It made a
standard entry hole and a slightly bigger hole on exit. Then they shot the
similar piece of salt pork with a Glazer slug. It looked like they had
dropped into a blender. It absolutely shredded that piece of meat. I was
sold on them ever since.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org