[geeks] New Itanium machines from SGI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 8 20:14:37 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 07:15 PM, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Oh and why arent we using our video cards spare processing power when
> they arent being used for display processing? You would think it would
> be relatively easy to write software and a driver that uses the onboard
> geometry engines to do floating point work. Hell a GeForce ti4600 has
> more processing power than my whole computer did three years ago.

   While I agree with what you're saying, and I'm sure you already know
this, I should point out that the processor on these video cards are
*far* from general-purpose floating point processors.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols