[geeks] New Itanium machines from SGI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jan 7 18:25:02 CST 2003

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 06:41 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> So, SGI is in the process of dumping a lean, elegant, and proven CPU
> platform with lightning-fast compilers that they're "committed" to,
> in favor of a newcomer CPU with approximately zero marketshare that
> has previously flopped in the market and has no decent compilers, with
> the hope that the single largest source of VBScript viruses and spam
> will ride the cavalry home with the silver-bullet of a compiler that
> will make everything okay?  Where to I sign up???!

   I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Itanium has failed miserably in
every market.  Itanium2 doesn't address any of the problems that caused
Itanium to fail; there's no reason to believe it'll do any better.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols