[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Jan 7 00:30:40 CST 2003

I wish. Dell no longer covers ANYTHING for longer than 3 years unless
you are what they call a "premier relationship customer" like Intel or
the US Navy. Everyone else has a permanent 3 year upgrade cycle if they
want to stay in support, and of course 99% (actually the conversion rate
is something like 80% according to my salesguy friends)

There are three grades of premium support for Dell that you can
purchase, and then one you get automatically if you are a big enough
customer

Bronze is next business day callback, next business day onsite
Silver is same business day callback, same businessday onsite (basically
if you get in before noon itll be there that day, if not the next
businssmorning)
gold is guaranteed 4 hour 24x7 callback and onsite (4 hours to call you
back, four hours from call termination til engineer onsite). If you are
a gold customer you can also purchase a response time upgrade to go to 2
hour response time.

Unfortunately gold is often NOT 4 hour, and theres no penalty if they
miss the time.

You cant buy permier relationship status, theres only two ways to get
it. Either you have to have a Dell certified helpdesk onsite, which they
charge you anually for, or you have to be one of the biggies.

You still can't beat Suns platinum serive. Anywhere they sell it, 2
hours guaranteed a guy will be on your doorstep with the parts. Of
course you pay two to three times the cost of the box to get it.

BTW, the reason I know all that crap about Dell above is because I was
oone of the European enterprise expert center "subject matter experts"
until about 8 weeks ago.

Chris Byrne