The Ideal gaming PC's? was RE: [geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 6 23:43:06 CST 2003

Actually I was going to buy the linux kit just before I decided to move
back to the states, and I sold my PS/2. Unfortnuately its pretty limited
out of the box, but theres a TON of hacks for it to get around some of
those limits. You'd think Sony would have figured out that you cant
really stop a Linux hacker from doing pretty much whatever they want
with the hardware once they have their hands on it ;-)

Anyway that brings up the topic of the ideal gaming PC doesn't it.
Someone else was on about a budget system a few weeks back but how about
the whole hog. Not like a spare no expense thing, but realistic price.
Actually Im gonna call it a home entertainment PC cuz I wanna use its
supercool multimedia capabilites for DVD and music as well.

Here's what I'd do if I had the cash:

1 x Athlon XP 2700 (the 2800 isnt available in quantity) $320
1 x Abit AT7-Max2 motherboard $180
1 x ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 $350
2 x 512m PC3500 DDRDRAM $350
4 x WD2000JB Drives in a RAID-0+1 configuration $1200
1 x Sound blaster audigy2 platinum $175
1 x DVD+RW drive (take your pick) $350
1 x DVD drive (top of the line take your pick) $100
1 x Multimedia card reader drive (reads all of the various memory cards)
$100
1 x Big ass aluminum case w ultra quiet 400w PSU $300
1 x Logitech cordless comfort mouse and keyboard $100
1 x Really good cooling system plus extra case fans and fan controller
$100
1 x Assorted cables, cords, wire ties, cable wrapping etc.. $50
1 x Klipsch promedia DD5.1 speaker system $350

Grand total of $4125 or thereabouts (I figure I put in enough padding in
the prices to cover shipping etc...)

You know the funny thing is, you could cut that price in half pretty
easily and STILL get a computer that kicks the ass out of anything
you'll get from the major manufacturers at ANY price.

Chris Byrne