[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Mon Jan 6 22:13:47 CST 2003

Kurt Huhn wrote:

>Can't hurt, I figure.  I read some poop that some games actually perform
>worse, but I'm tempted to call "bullshit" on that.  Besides, the dual
>procs will help other stuff besides the games, like the interface I
>suppose.
>
>And I can run two instances of distributedfolding.net's client on there
>when it's idle.

I don't know. In the AMD world the single proc. chipsets advance so much
faster (in technology useful for gaming) than the SMP chipsets. They
have 8x AGP, faster memory speeds, etc. Then you also have the (minor)
decrease in speed due to ECC (pretty much required for SMP Athlon's).
And the AthlonXP's clock speeds are also much higher than the MP's.

If I was building a machine specifically for gaming, it would be a
single AthlonXP and a 8x AGP graphics card. I would most likely wait for
the GeForceFX, it looks really nice. Or hell, I would by a PS2 (and the
Linux kit).

shawn