[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 6 21:53:37 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:50:00PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> In New Zealand a 2-year Applecare extension costs 499NZD (250USD) for
> Powerbook or iBook and 659NZD (330USD) for a PowerMac. I don't think this
> is a particularly good deal for consumer level equipment.

For the kind of service/support you get with Applecare, I think its worth it -
for someone that may pay $2K for a new machine, knowing that it *will* be
in good working condition for the next 3 years is worth $250-350.

I know of a couple people who had repeated problems with G4 Cubes, and
finally Apple said "will you take an 800Mhz Tower in exchange for your
450Mhz Cube?"  Of course, the people said yes, and ended up with faster/
better machines.

I also know (personally) a guy who had a Pismo laptop.  One of the
batteries *caught fire*.  He emailed Apple about it just to see what
they would do (non-Applecare, etc).

Apple contacted him REAL quickly, and said "If you let us take that
Pismo for examination as to what caused that, we'll give you a brand
new 600Mhz PowerBook G4 Ti".  Of course, he took that deal.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net