[geeks] Freakin' Inkjet printers...

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Jan 2 02:53:36 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 11:18 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   They absolutely SUCK for photo stuff...they're not continuous tone
> printers, they're solid-color devices.  I use it for schematics, PCB
> layouts, documentation, stuff like that.  Anything with fields of
> unchanging color comes out looking like it was done by a print shop.
> They really are amazing.  The Phaser 550 was a $12,000 printer when it
> was new (1997 or so), and they're built like tanks.  They do weigh a
> ton, though...I can *just* lift it.

How long does it take for the 550 to warm up? I have a Phaser IIIpxi
and it takes like 20 minutes for the printer to warm up, so I rarely
use it. I have an HP Deskjet 1200C/PS that I use much more as there's
very little warm up time. Unfortunately at the moment it needs to be
cleaned and/or repaired as it's not feeding the paper properly. It
picks up the paper, it goes like halfway in, then the feed jam light
comes on. I have to manually push the paper about an inch or so
forward, then put the printer back online then it will print the page.
Also the ink cartridges seem to dry at the nozzles really quickly, so I
have to run them under hot water to get them to work again, another
pita.

-Mike