[geeks] Freakin' Inkjet printers...

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 2 00:27:42 CST 2003

> >   ...of the CONSUMER INKJET PRINTER industry you mean.  Don't support
> > it.
>
> Either an HP or Epson 1200 printers would be extremely nice to have.
> And someday I will have one of them, or something similar, a medium
> format, really good, continuous (or at least a good aproximation of)
> tone color inkjet with both postscript and ethernet.  But, it seems they
> are still worth real money.

I picked up a used HP 1600CM printer at an auction for about 10USD (no print cartridges though). I use it as the (b&w only) label & envelope printer in my office.

They seem to sell quite regularly at this price - presumably because of the expensive-looking CMYK cartridges. Not a bad printer for the money - mine came with parallel, internal JetDirect for ethernet andlocaltalk, a 500-sheet page tray (680 page total capacity), and PostScript level 2 with 64MB of SIMMs installed. The print-engine is rated for 12,000 pages for month and it seems happy to run at around 7-8 ppm (black, normal quality).

I agree completely with the comments about the consumer level printers. My mother got a 'free' printer with her new PC about a year ago and the print speed/quality and drivers are all inferior to the 12 year-old HP LaserJet 500 it was going to replace.

Regards,

Gavin