[geeks] Freakin' Inkjet printers...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 1 22:18:56 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 11:11 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   These are the finest noncontinuous-tone color output devices that
>> I've ever used (and I've used a bunch)...pry mine (a 550) from my cold
>> dead fingers.
>
> How is it for photo quality?  You use a Kodak printer of some sort for
> that usually don't you?

   They absolutely SUCK for photo stuff...they're not continuous tone
printers, they're solid-color devices.  I use it for schematics, PCB
layouts, documentation, stuff like that.  Anything with fields of
unchanging color comes out looking like it was done by a print shop.
They really are amazing.  The Phaser 550 was a $12,000 printer when it
was new (1997 or so), and they're built like tanks.  They do weigh a
ton, though...I can *just* lift it.

   For photo stuff, I use a Kodak XLT-7720 dye sub printer, a very nice
unit intended for medical imaging.  Its output is indistinguishable
from a traditional photograph.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols