[geeks] cheap 802.11?

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Fri Feb 28 15:34:26 CST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:
> Besides, WEP should still always be configured as your
> least-common-denominator and first line of defense, should it not?  The
> first thing I was ever taught about security is "defense in depth".

Absolutely.

1> Don't broadcast your ESSID please. [0]
2> Use 128-bit WEP (with a decent key) and change your key periodically!
3> Use encryption between client and gateway just past the access point.
4) FIrewall off your AP from your network only allowing the secure
traffic.
5> Bonus: add a honeypot to your wireless realm and watch the fun!

[0] If your AP vendor doesn't give you this option in the firmware,
upgrade
your firmware or choose another brand.  No point in advertising yourself
to everyone!