[geeks] sunday project

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 22:16:50 CST 2003

--- James <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking that with the ram boost and installing Linux it should
> run ok. With Win98se and 32M it was a tad slow (lots of swappage and
> disk thrashing).

I am working on a PII/333 CPU laptop right now, and it is quite
acceptable with a modern/bloated Linux (RH 8.0) on it. It doesn't
"rock", but it is good enough for serious work (where you ahve to stop
& think every once in a while, like coding, WWW/email, etc.).

I also have the same laptop with a PII/266 (albeit with a smaller
screen),and it is nice too, but booting takes a while, and the disk
thrashes a bit once the OS is up and running...

I have no exp. with the graphic card you mention, but I suspect that a
better video card would be the best improvement for that box (256
Meg/Celeron 300 CPU are fine), as an interactive machine.

Emotionally, I'd put the PII/266 int he box, but the celeron may
actually be a better CPU (based on your unique mix of applications) - I
still remeber whenthe celeron first came out and had *no* cache, I
always avoid celerons...

=====
Lionel

http://taxes.yahoo.com/