[geeks] sunday project

James james at jdfogg.com
Sun Feb 23 13:12:13 CST 2003

I am rebuilding my wife's desktop PC that she no longer uses since I gave
her a laptop. So far I have found:
3 lbs of dust
dead PS fan (lubed and turns but will die again)
dead CPU fan (lubed and turns like new)
32M dram (have 256 to install)
56k modem (removed, broadband internet to the rescue)
16 bit sound blaster
Intel 10/100 lan card
300Mhz Celery-Onion CPU
24X cdrom
6 gig IDE disk
ATI Rage-2 AGP video
17 in CTX monitor (not bad actually, clean/straight picture)

I have an Intel CPU that I grabbed from a dead dual CPU box at work. It is
the same socket style as the celery-onion. I was hoping that it was
something on the order of 450Mhz. It's a 266 PII. Drat. It might be
slightly zippier than the celery-onion because of its cache, but the
celery-onion is a 300-A (with cache) so I think I'll leave things alone.

I'm thinking that with the ram boost and installing Linux it should run ok.
With Win98se and 32M it was a tad slow (lots of swappage and disk thrashing).

If someone has a use for the 266 cpu they can have it, otherwise I will
scrap the fan from the enclosure and replace mine.