[geeks] PC question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 18:31:05 CST 2003

--- "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:59:30AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I've always used Intel chips in the past but now i'm leaning
> > toward a single or dual Athalon box, but i don't want to deal
> > with a 100 fans in my box or anything odd.  I just want a
> > decent, solid box to run linux and be able to compile and
> > render fast. No bargain basement stuff, i don't mind spending
> > money on it since it will probably be my main workstation at
> > home for the next two or three years.

I *really*like my Dell boxes, rock-solid HW design (Dimension "full
size" desktops & PowerEdge servers), dead-quiet, and quite affordable.

You can get a lot of box from dell for $500 - 750, they have some very
nice deals on the low-end poweredge servers (but they tend to be loud,
due ot the fans), ranging from $275 to under $1K - I nearly got a 2 GHz
Xenon PowerEdge 1600SC SCSI-based w/ 512 Meg RAM, & 2x 72 Gig 10K SCSI
drives for about $850... But I don't need it (got my E250!)

=====
Lionel

http://taxes.yahoo.com/