[geeks] GPL as an Impediment

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 06:58:34 CST 2003

--- "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:16:30PM +0000, Yuri K wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-984769.html?tag=fd_top
> >
> > Licensing tango.
>
> It wouldn' be an impediment if Intel just required that patches have
> the copyright assigned to themselves.

I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing, but I doubt Red Hat would
contribute source code to a project that didn't, in turn, make that
code freely available under the GPL.

While reading Rebel Code, I saw how Red Hat threw resources behind the
Gnome desktop even though KDE was further along, due to "philosophical"
(issues with KDEs license (emphasis mine).

The ideal of Open Software runs very deep at Red Hat...

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com