[geeks] Fwd: Why I HATE buying New computers

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Wed Feb 12 22:51:14 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 10:20 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I haven't spent that much on a computer since I got my Powerbook Ti
> last Xmas (total emotional purchase, never a moment of regret!), and
> before that, when I got an Ultra 2 (w/dual 300 MHz CPUs) and an awesome
> 21" monitor (3 years ago), or when I got my 80486 DX-33 (a real long
> time ago)...

Well, in recent history, I bought a Sun Ultra-5 with 19" monitor New
from Sun from one of their ebay auctions for $2500 a couple of years
ago (that was my first Ultra), and I've since sold the U5 (without the
monitor) for $500.00 on ebay, but then I'm used to Sun stuff not
holding it's value.

I'm not really even complaining about the newer machine being cheaper,
I just sort of feel it's an insult to have to pay $50.00 to get the
same software that they're giving away with the newer systems. I mean
heck, because I bought a machine a month ago, I'm spending $250 more
than I would have to spend now. They could at least have offered iLife
as a free upgrade to folks that bought a new system within the last
couple of months.

While talking about iLife, I must admit, the update is a nice one.
Before I found iMovie almost useless for grabbing video from my digital
8 camcorder, as it almost always gave me an error about the drive not
being fast enough, or ready, or some such. I was using Arcsoft's
VideoImpression software to grab the video, then iDvd to write it. With
the upgrade, iMovie works great, and coupled with the new iDvd I can
add chapters to the DVD, just like the laserdiscs I'm copying had
originally.

-Mike