[geeks] iTunes and network filesystems

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 11 08:16:42 CST 2003

Actually this is proving to be a nightmare no matter how it's sliced... NFS
doesn't quite work right, Netatalk doesn't support AFP 3 so long filenames
can't be written (important for MP3's), and Samba is well... requires
sharity to do an automount at login (which has to be done before iTunes and
helper come up).  I don't feel like paying $59 for Sharity, so I'll have to
either A. mount a subdir NFS using the -alldirs option, and then make only
that area writeable by everyone, or B. script an smb cli mount.  I haven't
decided which will be better... once that works ok, however, I will move the
iTunes music library.

Andrew