[geeks] Irix port forwarding (SMB ports)

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon Feb 10 16:03:17 CST 2003

In the end I did get it to work.  I actually only needed port 139.  I
did the forwarding on the machine at the office between ports 2000 local
and 139 on the file server (2000 needed since Cox blocks outgoing
connections on 139) with:

ssh -g -l username -N -R 2000:fileserver:139 -L 2000:fileserver:139 sgi

and then set up a tunnel between 139 on my home machine and 2000 on the
sgi using the standard practices.  Then it was just a matter of
smbmounting //localhost/sharename

Additionally, it didn't seem to be slow at all.  Only slighly slower
than a local network smb mount.

Caleb

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 04:38, Kevin wrote:
Caleb Shay                                   "UNIX _IS_ user friendly.
Programmer/System Administrator              It's just particular about
Providence, RI                               who its friends are."