[geeks] OSX and network filesystems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 23:13:31 CST 2003

--- Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> Now she has OSX and i'm not sure if i should ditch Samba for
> NFS or should i just keep it and go with the flow (AFS is too
> complex for me to want to setup over there at the moment,
> Kerberos and all).

> I have heard some people bad mouth NFS
> altogether, stating that it is outdated, insecure and poorly
> designed from the jump.

IMHO NFS works, and has for some time.

> I have also heard
> others state that linux support for NFS is lacking and
> immature.

I think these complaints were in comparison to NFS installations like
Solaris - I can't speak to the current state of affairs...

> Still it seems odd to keep a protocol that is 90%
> MS just to go between linux and OSX.

In Rebel COde, it is pointed out that SMB networking was used
extensively by DEC in their Pathworks products, IIRC...

> Anyone have any suggestions here?

I would think NFS on Linux would suffice for one user, no matter how
demanding their needs (barring truely exceptional cases, say, where
Grandpa is stress-testing new kernel builds)...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com