[geeks] IEEE 1394 support under *BSD

Kirby Menzel kmenzel at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 6 13:54:26 CST 2003

> Do any of the BSDs support Firewire/1394 well?  I was
> considering trying out OpenBSD or NetBSD again on my main
> workstation (currently linux), but i use a decent amount of
> 1394 stuff that i don't wish to ditch.  Anyone out there have
> any success stories using it under and of the BSDs?

I'm assuming this box is x86?

I have no experience myself with firewire on xBSD, but a quick search of the
appropriate HCL's deteremined that OpenBSD does not yet support firewire.
FreeBSD does:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/hardware-i386.html#FIREWIRE

NetBSD... Well, their site seems to be down, but using the google cache for
the supported hardware list for i386, there is no mention of firewire.

Kirb