[geeks] Two access points, no waiting...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Feb 4 21:49:38 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:41:23PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Upstairs, I have a WAP11 (wireless access point), that connects up most
> of the house (some dead/poor spots - the reason for the change).
> I also have a Cable/DSL Router/Access Point (Linksys, but don't know
> model off the top of my head) that I want to deploy and "fill-in" the
> dead spots...
> Here's the question: How do I configure the second wireless access
> point? Do I use the same SSID "string" and channel as the "active"
> access point? Or, do I set them to different channels and set them to
> the same SSID "string"?

I had a client who had an "office" consisting of two older
houses (think 1930s) right next to each other; I had a WAP11, both
using the same SSID, in each house (not more than 40-50 feet apart,
total, if that even..).  Worked fine - $client could take his laptop,
walk outside, walk from one house to the other, and never lose signal
(it "handed off" just fine).  he loved it.  Still using it, AFAIK.

Both WAP11s were doing normal "bridge to ethernet" mode, and were
connected to the same ethernet hub in one of the buildings (with
cable going in a conduit between the houses).  He just wanted it so
his laptop-bound workers could move around the office at will.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net